Secure Windows Remote Access
Our SSH server is designed for all Windows NT-series operating systems. Supported platforms include all desktop and server versions of Windows, starting from Windows 2000, to the most recent, including Windows 8 and 2012. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows are supported. Windows NT4 is still supported by WinSSHD version 4.
Bitvise SSH Server supports the following SSH services:
- Secure remote access via console (vt100, xterm and bvterm supported)
- Secure remote access via GUI (Remote Desktop or WinVNC required)
- Secure file transfer using SFTP and SCP (compatible with all major clients)
- Secure TCP/IP connection tunneling (port forwarding)
You can try out Bitvise SSH Server risk-free. To begin, simply download the installation executable - you will find the download links on our download page. After installing, you are free to evaluate Bitvise SSH Server for up to 30 days. If you then decide to continue using it, purchase a license.
When the personal edition is chosen during installation, Bitvise SSH Server can be used free of charge by non-commercial personal users.
Professional-Grade SSH Server
We continue to invest great amounts of effort to make sure we create the best SSH software we can. These are some of the important features that make Bitvise SSH Server special:
- Ease of use: Bitvise SSH Server was written specifically for the Windows platform so that it is easy to install and configure. In a regular Windows environment, it will work immediately upon installation with no configuring. (We do however recommend tightening down settings to restrict access only to those accounts and features that you use.)
- Unlimited connections: Bitvise SSH Server imposes no limits on the number of users who can connect, and gets no more expensive for a larger number of connections. The number of simultaneous connections is limited only by system resources!
- Windows groups: Bitvise SSH Server natively supports configurability through Windows groups. No need to define account settings for each Windows account individually. The SSH server knows what groups a user is in and, if configured, will use appropriate Windows group settings.
- Speed: SFTP transfer speed mostly depends on the client, but Bitvise SSH Server allows clients to obtain some of the fastest transfer speeds available. With Bitvise SSH Client, SFTP file transfer speeds in the tens of MB/s can be obtained.
- FIPS 140-2 validation: Bitvise SSH Server uses the FIPS-certified DLL version of Crypto++ 5.3.0, validated by NIST under certificate #819.
- Single sign-on: Bitvise SSH Server supports GSSAPI-enabled Kerberos 5 key exchange, as well as NTLM and Kerberos 5 user authentication. This means that, using Bitvise SSH Client or another compatible GSSAPI-enabled client, any user in the same Windows domain, or a trusted one, can log into the SSH server without having to verify the server's host key fingerprint, and without even having to supply a password! Using Windows group-based settings, the user's account doesn't even have to be configured in the SSH server.
- Virtual accounts: want to set up an SFTP server with many users, but don't want to create and manage 1000 Windows accounts? No problem. Bitvise SSH Server supports virtual accounts, created in SSH server settings, backed by the identity of one or more Windows accounts. SSH server settings for these accounts are also configurable on a virtual group basis.
- Bandwidth limits: Separate upload and download speed limits can be configured for each user and group.
- Excellent terminal support: Bitvise SSH Server provides the best terminal support available on the Windows platform. Our terminal subsystem employs sophisticated techniques to render output accurately like no other Windows SSH server. And when used with Bitvise SSH Client, our bvterm protocol supports the full spectrum of a Windows console's features: colors, Unicode characters, and large scrollable buffers.
- Flexibility: most SSH server features can be configured individually on a per-account basis from the user-friendly Bitvise SSH Server Control Panel. Using Bitvise SSH Client, the SSH server's Control Panel can be accessed and configured through the same user-friendly interface from any remote location.
- Server-side forwarding: with Bitvise SSH Server and Client, a server and multiple clients can be set up so that all port forwarding rules are configured centrally at the server, without requiring any client-side setting updates. The SSH clients only need to be configured once, and port forwarding rules can easily be changed when necessary.
- Scriptable settings: Using the supplied wcfg utility, all settings can also be configured from a text file, from a script or interactively from the command-line. Settings can also be configured programmatically through the BssCfgManip COM object.
- Multi-site support: Bitvise SSH Server supports multiple simultaneous, independent installations on the same server for customers needing completely separate sites for different groups of users. Multiple SSH server versions can run concurrently, installed on separate sites.
- Master/slave configuration: In environments with multiple SSH server installations, one can be configured to run as master, and others can be configured to run as slaves. Slave installations can be configured to synchronize their settings, host keys, and/or password cache with the master. This feature can be used both for cluster support, and to reproduce aspects of SSH server settings on a large number of similar installations.