Loopback Adapter file share tunneling: Win2K
The following instructions document how the Microsoft Loopback Adapter can be installed and configured for use with file share tunneling on Windows 2000:
- Installing the Loopback Adapter:
- Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Remove Hardware.
- Click Next on the introduction dialog box.
- Keep 'Add/Troubleshoot a device' selected and click Next.
- Select 'Add a new device', then click Next.
- Select 'No, I want to select the hardware from the list', then click Next.
- Select 'Network adapters', then click Next.
- Select 'Microsoft' as the manufacturer, select 'Microsoft Loopback Adapter' as the adapter, then click Next.
- Click Next to confim the installation.
- Click Finish to complete the installation.
- Configure the newly created adapter:
- Open Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network and Dial-up Connections.
- Select the newly created connection (should be named 'Local Area Connection N', where N is its order number).
- Right click on the selected connection and choose Properties from the menu.
- Confirm that 'Microsoft Loopback Adapter' (or 'Microsoft Loopback Adapter #N') is displayed in the 'Connect Using:' field. If it isn't, return to step 2 and retry properties for another adapter.
- Uncheck (disable) everything except 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)'.
- Select 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)', then click Properties to open 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties'.
- Select 'Use the following IP address:' and fill in the 'IP address:' and 'Subnet mask:' fields (e.g. 10.10.10.10, 255.255.255.0).
- Click Advanced to open 'Advanced TCP/IP Settings'.
- Switch to WINS and select 'Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP'.
- Click OK to close 'Advanced TCP/IP Settings'.
- Click OK to close the 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties'.
- Click OK to close the connection properties.
If you later want to uninstall the Microsoft Loopback Adapter (once it is not needed any more for the forwarding of a Windows file share), you can uninstall it using Control Panel > Add/Remove Hardware (click Next, then 'Uninstall/Unplug a device', then 'Uninstall a device').